Gazetted Holiday List 2023 West Bengal (WB) PDF
Holidays 2023 PDF Download – West Bengal Government Public Holidays for the year 2023
Government of West Bengal
Finance (Audit) Department
325, Sarat Chatterjee Road
Howrah, the 21st October, 2022.
In exercise of the power conferred by the explanation to Section 25 of the Negotiable Instrument Act, 1881 (XXVI of 1881), read with Government of India, Ministry of Home Affairs, Notification No. 20/25/56-pub(l) dated the 8th June, 1957 the Governor is pleased to declare the days as specified at List-1 below to be Public Holidays during the year 2023.
3. Further, the Governor is pleased to declare that the days as specified at List-III may be observed as Sectional Holidays in the year 2023 for the employees of different communities mentioned against the day
WB Govt Public Holiday List 2023 PDF
|List-1 (Public Holidays in 2023 under the N. I. Act)|
|Birth Day of Swami Vivekananda||12 Jan 2023||Thursday|
|Netaji’s Birth Day||23 Jan 2023||Monday|
|Republic Day||26 Jan2023||Thursday|
|Saraswati Puja [Sree Panchami]||26 Jan 2023||Thursday|
|Doljatra||7 March 2023||Tuesday|
|Mahavir Jayanti||4 April 2023||Tuesday|
|Good Friday||7 April 2023||Friday|
|Birth Day of Dr. B. R. Ambedkar||14 April 2023||Friday|
|Bengali New Year’s Day (Nababarsha)||15 April 2023||Saturday|
|Eid-UI-Fitr||22 April 2023||Saturday|
|May Day||1 May 2023||Monday|
|Buddha Purnima||5 May 2023||Friday|
|Birth Day of Rabindranath Tagore||9 May 2023||Tuesday|
|Id-Ud-Zoha (Bakrid)||29 June 2023||Thursday|
|Muharram||29 July 2023||Saturday|
|Independence Day||15 Aug 2023||Tuesday|
|Birth Day of Gandhiji||2 Octob 2023||Monday|
|Mahalaya||14 Octob 2023||Saturday|
|Durga Puja, Maha Saptami||21 Octob 2023||Saturday|
|Durga Puja, Maha Nabami||23 Octob 2023||Monday|
|Durga Puja, Dasami||24 Octob 2023||Tuesday|
|Lakshmi Puja||28 Octob 2023||Saturday|
|Bhratridwitiya||15 Nov 2023||Wednesday|
|Birth Day of Guru Nanak||27 Nov 2023||Monday|
|Christmas Day||25 Dec 2023||Monday|
Yearly Closing of Bank Account: 1st April (Saturday) (for Banks only)
(Note: The Government Offices only where Saturdays are not observed as full holiday including Treasuries, Sub-Treasuries shall remain open).
Gazetted Holiday List 2023 West Bengal (WB) PDF
|List-II (Holidays under the order of State Government in 2023)|
|Day before Saraswati Puja||25 Jan 2023||Wednesday|
|Birth Day of Thakur Panchanan Barma||14 Feb 2023||Tuesday|
|Shivaratri||18 Feb 2023||Saturday|
|Holi (Day after Doljatra)||8 Mar 2023||Wednesday|
|Day before Eid-UI-Fitr||21 Apr 2023||Friday|
|Rathayatra||20 June 2023||Tuesday|
|Birth Day of Poet Bhanu Bhakt (for Darjeeling & Kalimpong District only)||13 July 2023||Thursday|
|Rakhi Bandhan||30 Aug 2023||Wednesday|
|Janmastami||6 Sep 2023||Wednesday|
|Fateha-Dwaz-Daham||28 Sep 2023||Thursday|
|Durga Puja, Maha Chaturthi||18 Oct 2023||Wednesday|
|Durga Puja, Maha Panchami||19 Oct 2023||Thursday|
|Durga Puja, Maha Shashthi||20 Oct 2023||Friday|
|Additional Day for Durga Puja||25 Oct 2023||Wednesday|
|Additional Day for Durga Puja||26 Oct 2023||Thursday|
|Additional Day for Durga Puja||27 Oct 2023||Friday|
|Additional Day for Kali Puja||13 Nov 2023||Monday|
|Additional Day for Kali Puja||14 Nov 2023||Tuesday|
|Birth Day of Birsa Munda||15 Nov 2023||Wednesday|
|Day after Bhratridwitiya||16 Nov2023||Thursday|
|Additional Day for Chhat Puja||20 Nov 2023||Monday|
(##) Birth Day of Pandit Raghunath Murmu falls on 5th May 2023 – Friday, which is a holiday under N. I. Act and therefore has not been shown separately in List-II.
List-III (Sectional Holidays in 2023)
|Easter Saturday||8″April (Saturday) [for Christians only]|
|Hui Diwas||30″ June (Friday) [for Adivasi (Santhal)only.]|
|Karam Puja||To be notified later on|
($$) Shab-e-Barat, Sectional Holiday for Muslim Community falls on 8th March, 2023 (Wednesday), which is a Holiday under State Government & therefore has not been shown separately in List-III.
1. Sundays are holidays under the Negotiable Instrument Act.
2. In the year 2023, the following festivals / occasions fall on Sundays which are Public Holidays under N. I. Act and hence have not been included in lists:
|i) New Year’s Day||1st January 2023 – Sunday|
|ii) Birth Day of Guru Rabidas (for the followers of Guru Rabidas)||5th February 2023 – Sunday|
|iii) Birth Day of Shri Shri Harichand Thakur (Madhu Krishna TroyodashiTithi)||19th March 2023 – Sunday|
|iv) Durga Puja Maha Ashtami||22nd October 2023 – Sunday|
|v) Kali Puja||12th November 2023 – Sunday|
|vi) Chhat Puja||19th November 2023 – Sunday|
3. The holiday with double asterisk marks i.e. (**) is applicable to those Government Offices only where Saturdays are not observed as full holiday.
4. General instructions as laid down hereunder are to be followed in case of Muslim festivals.
GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS TO BE FOLLOWED IN ALL TYPES OF HOLIDAYS INCLUDING HOLIDAYS FOR THE MUSLIM FESTIVALS
1) No substitute holiday shall be allowed if any of the festival – holidays initially notified subsequently happens to fall on a weekly off or any other non-working day or in the event of more than one festival falling on the same day.
2) If there is any change in the date of Eid-UI-Fitr, Id-Ud-Zoha, Muharram, Fateha-Dwaz-Daham, Shab- e-Barat depending upon the sighting of the moon, holiday will be declared by a separate order for the date on which the festival would be actually observed in lieu of the date originally notified as holiday for this festival.
3) It may happen that the change of date of abovementioned occasions has to be notified at a very short notice. In such a situation, announcement would be made through T.V. / A.I.R. / News Papers and Heads of Department / Offices of the State Government may take action according to such announcements without waiting for formal order about the change of date.
By order of the Governor,
Sd/- Dr. Manoj Pant
Additional Chief Secretary
to the Government of West Bengal
Updated Page Jan 2023