Lok Sabha – Q & A (20.07.2018) – Shortage Of Doctors In CGHS
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
MINISTRY OF HEALTH AND FAMILY WELFARE
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND FAMILY WELFARE
UNSTARRED QUESTION NO.665
TO BE ANSWERED ON 20th JULY, 2018
SHORTAGE OF DOCTORS IN CGHS
665.SHRI K.R.P. PRABAKARAN:
- Will the Minister of HEALTH AND FAMILY WELFARE be pleased to state:
- the number of doctors working in CGHS Dispensaries in the country, State/ UT-wise particularly in Delhi;
- whether there is an acute shortage of doctors in the CGHS dispensaries, if so, the details thereof and the reasons therefor;
- whether the CGHS dispensaries disburse only generic/substandard medicines available in the store and not indented good quality of medicines;
- if so, the details thereof and the reasons therefor; and
- the corrective steps were taken by the Government to address the shortage of doctors in C’GHS dispensaries and also make available quality medicines?
THE MINISTER OF STATE IN THE MINISTRY OF HEALTH AND
(SHRI ASHWINI KUMAR CHOUBEY)
- The number of Doctors working in CGHS Dispensaries in the country is shown at
- No; there is no acute shortage of doctors.
- No; CGHS dispensaries disburse good quality generic, branded-generic medicines as well as patented medicines.
- Does not arise.
Following steps have been taken by the Government to address the shortage of doctors in CGHS dispensaries and also make available quality medicines:-
- In order to encourage more doctors to join CGHS, posting of Doctors is normally being made after due consideration of their residence/domicile.
- Promotion upto the SAG level has been made time bound under the Dynamic Assured Career Scheme.
- The retirement age of CHS Doctors has recently been enhanced upto 65 years.
- Retired doctors are engaged on contract basis against vacant posts of regular doctors as an interim measure.
- CGHS receives bulk supply of medicines only after pre-testing of two samples of every batch for quality. It is done by identified National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories (NABL) accredited laboratories.
- Random checking of medicines is done by CGHS to ensure quality.