Posting of husband and wife at the same station – DoPT Orders dt.12.06.1997
Posting of Central Government Employees
Posting of husband and wife at the same station
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
Department of Personnel and Training
New Delhi, the 12th June, 1997
Sub: Posting of husband and wife at the same station.
The undersigned is directed to say that on the subject mentioned above, Government had issued detailed guidelines vide OM No. 28034/7/86-Estt.(A) dated 3.4.86. The Fifth, Central Pay Commission has now recommended that not only the existing instructions regarding the need to post husband and wife at the same station need to be reiterated, it has also recommended that the scope of these instructions should be widened to include the provision that where posts at the appropriate level exist in the organization at the same station, the husband and wife may invariably he posted together in order to enable them to load a normal family life and look after the welfare of the children, especially till the children are 10 years of age.
2. The Government, after considering the matter, has decided to accept this recommendation of the Fifth Central Pay Commission. Accordingly, it is reiterated that all Ministries / Departments should strictly adhere to the guidelines laid down in OM No. 28034/7/86-Estt.(A) dated 3.4.86 while deciding on the requests for posting of husband and wife at the same station and should ensure that such posting is invariably done, especially till their children are 10 years of age, if posts at the appropriate level exist in the organization at the same station and if no administrative problems are expected to result as a consequence.
3. It is further clarified that even in cases where only the wife is a government servant, the concession elaborated in para 2 of this O.M. would be admissible to the government servant.
4. These instructions would be applicable only to posts within the same department and would not apply on appointment under the Central Staffing Scheme.
5. A copy of this Department’s OM No. 28034/7/86-Estt.(A) dated 3.4.86 is enclosed for ready reference and guidance.
6. Hindi version of the OM is enclosed.
Joint Secretary to the Govt. of India